Sunday, September 14, 2014

Day 14: Working from "Home"

Today was my third day in Ironwood, MI. I only ventured out of my motel room to my car twice, but never even put the key in the ignition. I needed a break from driving, and a day to catch up on some work, such as getting my two online classes ready for fall term (which starts September 29). I also took advantage of a fairly fast internet connection to sync more of my photos and videos with Google Drive (which still took hours!).

Today marks the end of two weeks on the road. I thought it might be nice to share some random observations about "life on the road," and a behind-the-scenes look at the making of my blog.

Random observation (RO) #1: Oregon must have a much larger budget for road signs than the rest of the country. The paucity of signs in the Great Plains and Upper Midwest is somewhat disconcerting. The other day, for example, just east of Superior, WI there was a sign on U.S. Highway 2 for Pattison State Park (home of the highest waterfall in Wisconsin). After that, no other signs until just prior to reaching the park, even though we had to navigate numerous county roads (County Roads C, K, and B plus WI Highway 35) and many intersections. They point you in the right direction, and then you're on your own! We found similar situations in Canada as well. Despite this, I think we were only "lost" two or three times (although a geographer is never really lost, only exploring).

RO #2: Oregon's road budget must also be relatively large. I will no longer complain about the condition of Oregon's highways. I'll need a new suspension, shocks, and an alignment after this trip! Maybe a new set of teeth and a couple of kidneys to boot. (In fairness, the cold winters really take their toll in these parts, but still . . . ).

RO #3: This country is big! It's been 20 years since I last drove long distance (at least 2,000 miles) on a trip, and I'd forgotten just how long a person can drive and still not be to the other coast.  All of Europe is only about 2/3 the size of the 48 conterminous U.S. states, and there are about 50 countries in Europe (meaning our states are bigger than their countries, on average).

RO #4: Oregon is different. We're one of only two states that doesn't allow motorists to pump their own gas (the other is New Jersey), and one of only five that doesn't have a sales tax (the others being Alaska, Delaware, Montana, and New Hampshire). I prefer filling my own tank (it's quicker and I like to get out of the car anyway). I still have to remember to add sales tax to purchases, though (that $10.00 item may actually be anywhere from about $10.60 to $10.90). We also have the most expensive gas in the lower 48 right now, so it's always nice to see lower prices everywhere I go. I've already paid as little as $3.26 a gallon. (Canadian gas is much higher, though. $1.25 a liter might sound cheap, but after converting to gallons and adjusting for the exchange rate, that's nearly $4.50 a gallon in U.S. dollars.)

RO #5: In general, people have a yearning to be on the road. Most people who hear of my journey are immediately envious. I can't count the number of times I've already heard someone say, "Oh, I'd love to do that!" (Right after that, they are curious: what kind of work do I do that allows me to travel for nearly three months?) I think some of it is an innate desire to be away from our responsibilities, but there's also a curiosity to discover other people and places that are different from our customary surroundings.

My daily routine thus far consists of first packing up each morning (no small feat, what with my camera gear, laptop and other electronics, gluten free food, etc.) and checking out of my lodging. Most days it's a stop at a gas station to fill up and wash the bugs off the windshield (although the cold weather lately has at least helped diminish the flying critters. RO #6: Oregon has far fewer insects than most places!) Then it's back on the road, stopping for photos, sometimes hiking to a location, often backtracking when I pass a photo opp and really want to get it. Sometimes simply taking photos is an occupational hazard, by the way. I've dodged cars, spiders, and loose rocks, climbed along precipices, endured icy rains and gale force winds, and been fodder for all manner of insects, including deer flies, mosquitoes, gnats, and bees. All in the name of geography education!

Sometime around dusk I look for the night's lodging. So far I've only made one reservation, and that was less than an hour before I arrived at my destination. Once checked in, I unload my gear, set it up, download photos and videos to my computer, back them up on an external hard drive (and to Google Drive if I have a decent internet connection), and then work on my blog. Uploading images takes awhile (sometimes a very long while!), as does organizing and captioning them. I also organize receipts, keep a log of mileage and expenses, and keep a journal. Then go to bed, wake, and repeat. Never a dull moment!

RO #7: Technology is a lifesaver! 20 years ago no one owned a laptop or smartphone (or even a dim-witted phone). Now, I'm using Google maps for navigation, search engines to find lodging and compare prices and read reviews, and multiple apps for various other purposes. I even have an app that helps me locate restaurants that serve gluten free food. My smartphone, as it turns out, is also usually my best camera. About 3/4 of the photos I've been posting were taken with my Samsung Galaxy s5, including all of the panoramas.

Speaking of photos, since I don't have any new photos to share today, I'll post a few from the first two weeks of the trip that I haven't shared previously.

All loaded and ready to go!
One of many motels that I've called "home." Ironwood, MI.

Shelby, MT.
Walla Walla, WA.
Kalispell, MT.
Water towers are a common sight in areas of low relief.
For plowing snow and sweeping streets. Mostly for plowing snow.

3 comments:

  1. Yes indeed, our ODOT budget is, sometimes, too big. Just remember the Eddyville debacle on highway 20 that is still under construction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We missed you on Kickoff day yesterday! But would rather we where you are than Salem...

    ReplyDelete
  3. But you are working, at something you love. Happy for you to have this opportunity Steve, you have EARNED it!

    ReplyDelete