Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Day 23: Vermont

I'm playing catch-up on my blogging again. Some days are just too busy to blog! Yesterday was one of them. Driving Vermont's roads is a slow process, not only because of the lower speed limits (50 mph on most highways), but also because of the beautiful scenery that beckons you to pull over and photograph it.

For a change, I woke to a warm, sunny, beautiful fall day. In fact, it was nearly perfect fall weather. After a short stop at Price Chopper grocery store in downtown Rutland for more provisions (I've shopped at so many, I should get their discount card), I decided to walk around the downtown for awhile and take photos. For a town of about 17,000 people, the downtown was quite impressive -- and quirky. A very vocal street preacher was on the sidewalk at a busy intersection, just across from the Pyramid Holistic Wellness Center and Speleotherapy Clinic.

I drove east on U.S. Highway 4, passing ski resorts, picturesque New England towns, country inns, farmers markets, and covered bridges. The dominant color was green -- fields, lawns, pastures (for the many dairy cows), evergreen trees -- punctuated by splashes of yellow, orange, amber, and crimson from hardwood trees putting on a display before shedding their summer garment. Everywhere I was surrounded by postcard-perfect scenes. Just what I had hoped Vermont would be like.

To make up for lost time (it took me over five hours to travel about 32 miles!) I reluctantly turned onto I-91 and headed north. It turned out to be the best drive of the day. The smaller roads seldom have turnouts, and none of them were scenic (just parking areas). The interstate had two scenic overlooks on the portion I drove, both of them dazzling. It was probably the most breathtakingly beautiful stretch of freeway I've ever driven. Even the rest area had a visitor center that was the absolute cleanest, nicest facility you can imagine.

I left the interstate at St. Johnsbury, VT and continued east on U.S. Highway 2. Signs warning of moose crossings were frequent, and one advised to, "Brake for moose and save your life. Hundreds of collisions." Since a large moose can outweigh a car, that's good advice! At dusk I finally arrived at Gorham, NH, the closest town to Mt. Washington, after traveling 165 miles (4,104 for the trip).

Downtown Rutland, VT.


















Just past Woodstock, VT. 







Part of the Visitor Center at Quechee Gorge.

Rest area/viewpoint along I-91 about 30 miles south of St. Johnsbury, VT.


Of course, I had to include this.

Connecticut River Valley about ten miles south of St. Johnsbury, VT from viewpoint on I-91.


Looking east to the Presidential Range in New Hampshire's White Mountains.
The same mountains just minutes later.







2 comments: