Sunday, September 21, 2014

Day 20: The Adirondacks

Mountains! The first legitimate ones since I left Montana greeted me today. How I've longed for topographical protuberances of the vertical kind!

It was much warmer this morning (62 degrees by 10:45 a.m.) and humid, but overcast and windy. I proceeded southeastward on Hwy 68 to the small town of Colton, then south on Highways 56, 3, 30, 8, 10, 29A, 29, and 167 through various mountain resort towns: Tupper Lake, Long Lake, Blue Mountain Lake, Indian Lake, and Speculator among them. The route took me through the heart of the Adirondacks. Unfortunately, the skies were overcast and threatening rain all day (none ever transpired, though). Combined with the haze, the lighting conditions were not very good for photos -- but the fall colors were. Between Tupper Lake and Long Lake, I had to stop at an impromptu Border Patrol checkpoint and was quizzed about my citizenship. Apparently, within 100 miles of the border, such roving patrols are common, something I was unaware of.

Despite the hazy skies, I still was able to get some good photos of the mountains, lakes, forests, and brooks. I also saw perhaps 20 wild turkeys and two deer, plus lots of waterfowl. In the Adirondacks, the day was quite cool, and the scent of wood smoke wafted through the mountain villages.

I started and ended my day in fertile farming areas with plenty of Amish. New York has a had a recent influx of Amish from Ohio and Pennsylvania searching for affordable farmland, with their ranks swelling from about 4,700 in 2000 to around 13,000 in 2011.

My day ended in Utica, a city of over 60,000 situated along the Erie Canal in the Mohawk Valley, and seat of Oneida County. It has seen its population increase recently with a surge of immigrants from war-torn countries, especially Bosnians. This former mafia stronghold is now more diverse ethnically, though the Italian influence was still evident today as I passed Papandrea's Automotive, Delmonico's Italian Steakhouse, and Aqua Vino Restaurant.

Farm near Colton, NY strewn with boulders deposited by continental ice sheets that pushed down from Canada.
South Colton, NY.
Farm fields at South Colton.
Holy Name Catholic Church, Tupper Lake, NY.
Tupper Lake itself. It was very windy, so the water was choppy.
Tupper Lake.
Tupper Lake.
Scenic overlook just south of Long Lake on Hwy 30 showing some good fall color in the Adirondacks. The highest peaks in this photo reach over 3,400 feet elevation.






Amish carriage at Dolgeville, NY.
Looking southeast into the Mohawk Valley near Little Falls, NY.



Little Falls, NY.


2 comments:

  1. You're funny, only a geographer could work in the term "topographical protuberances" into a blog like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those topographical protuberances would be great on my Harley. :)

    ReplyDelete