Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Day 30: Choppers and the Poconos

Once again, I had quite the contrasts in landscapes today.  After refueling and buying groceries and ice for the cooler, I proceeded west from Middletown, CT, mostly on Interstate 84.  My first significant stop was in Newburgh, NY at Orange County Choppers (OCC). Though I don’t ride, I’ve enjoyed watching the cable TV show American Chopper in past years and seeing the craftsmanship that goes into building their bikes.  Since my route took me within 100 yards of their shop, I simply had to stop in.  Plus, I was due for a little more focus on economic and cultural geography. 

The bikes were even more amazing when viewed in person, and the shop tour was up close and personal.  There were only three of us on the tour, and we were just feet away from the builders as they worked.  I saw about half a dozen of the guys that have appeared on the show, including the founder and owner of OCC, Paul Teutul, Sr., who said hello to us as he walked past and went to his office.  It was well worth the stop, and I saw everything in less than an hour and a half.
Continuing west on I-84, I turned south in Pennsylvania on highway 209. No commercial trucks are allowed on this route, as it passes through the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area in the Poconos.  Bordered by tall bluffs on either side, it follows the Delaware River and was a nice, quiet drive through some beautiful scenery.  I took time to explore Dingman’s Forest Campground near Dingman’s Ferry, and stopped briefly at a hiking trailhead.  It has been dry in this area for quite a while, so many streams were dry or nearly so.

I continued southwesterly to West Lawn, a suburb of Reading, PA.  I plan to explore the area for several days before continuing further south.  232 more miles, bringing my trip total to 5,121 miles.

Orange County Choppers, Newburgh, NY.
No filming was occurring today.
Custom bike for sale for only $34,000.
Their New York Giants theme bike.





Inside the shop.


At Dingman's Forest Camp.


An ephemeral stream (one that only flows during or immediately after a rainstorm), better known as a gully or wash.

Corn, forest, and bluffs in Delaware Water Gap.
Nearly dry stream channel.
Completely dry a little farther down. This is an intermittent stream, or one that dries up occasionally (as opposed to a perennial stream, which flows year-round and never dries up even during droughts).


2 comments: