Thursday, October 30, 2014

Day 58: The Florida Panhandle

Before leaving Waycross, GA this morning, my wife wanted to shop for shorts, since we've been experiencing quite hot, summer-like weather for the past ten days or so. Unfortunately, all the stores only had winter clothing on the racks. I suppose that makes as much sense as all of the Christmas decor that was also on display already.

Not far out of town, we stopped at a cotton field. I pulled off a piece, and the raw cotton was just like the cotton balls you buy in a store. Since we are still in the Gulf-Atlantic Coastal Plain, there isn't much to write about regarding the topography, other than it is all pretty much the same. A 100 foot high hill is noteworthy in these parts, and even then, it's a gentle slope.

Our destination was Pensacola Beach, FL. We didn't arrive at our hotel until about 8:45 p.m., or so we thought. We didn't realize until morning that we had crossed into the Central Time Zone, so it was actually an hour earlier. At least we weren't late for breakfast! I'm finding it increasingly difficult to remember what city (or even state!) I'm in on this trip, since I've traveled through so many so quickly.

We managed to drive 361 miles today. My trip total is now 7,812 miles.

Water towers are a sign that we're still in the lowlands.
Cotton field in southern Georgia.

Logs on their way to a pulp mill.
Baptist churches are a common sight.
A rest area along I-10 in northern Florida.





No comments:

Post a Comment