Monday, October 6, 2014

Day 36: Heading South!

The day began cool (low 50s), partly cloudy, and windy. I woke weary from traveling and a late night (it was after dark before I got to my hotel, and by the time I ate, made phone calls, blogged, and organized photos I didn't get to sleep until about 2 a.m. -- not unusual on this trip). I finally checked out of my hotel just west of Frackville and headed south on I-81, away from coal mining country and toward the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia. As the day progressed, the clouds dissipated and the temperature warmed to the upper 60s, but the wind increased. After several hours and several states (I passed from Pennsylvania through the panhandles of Maryland and West Virginia) I finally entered Virginia. I stopped at a Welcome Center on the interstate just before the city of Winchester. The facility was very clean, filled with useful information for travelers, and friendly, helpful staff. I picked up some brochures, pamphlets, and (of course) maps. Entering the city of Front Royal (near the northern entrance to Shenandoah National Park and Skyline Drive), I filled my gas tank for $3.05 a gallon (I passed a station earlier that had gas for $2.98!).

I decided to find lodging early, and it's good I did. I checked into a large hotel (seven stories) about 4:15 p.m., and the couple who checked in right behind me got the last room! The funny thing is, the best views of the day were from my hotel room's window (appropriately enough, on the "vista" level of the hotel), overlooking some ponds on a beautiful golf course toward forested hills. Tomorrow's vistas should be even better. Another 184 miles driven today; 5,409 total miles now.

View this morning from my hotel near Frackville, looking north across I-81.
Landscape just east of Harrisburg, PA.





Virginia Welcome Center near Winchester.


Hills, creek, and golf course on west side of Front Royal, VA.

Some threatening clouds moving in.
Stratocumulus clouds.

1 comment:

  1. Winchester, Virginia is where my ancestors lived during the Civil War. After the war my great-grandfather moved to Kansas! Beautiful country!

    ReplyDelete